My name is William ‘Billy’ Morin (Nahtokitopi – Rides a Sacred Horse), and it is my pleasure to welcome you to the new Enoch Cree Nation website. The Cree name for Enoch is Maskêkosihk (pronounced Muss-Kay-Go-Sik) and translates as ‘people of the land of medicine’. There is a lot happening within the Nation and we hope that the information provided here gives you an idea of the amount of initiatives underway.
Since being elected into leadership I have striven to provide transparency and accountability to the Nation, and as we enter into a new era of challenges and opportunities, leadership will continue to build on the current the momentum of growth for the Enoch Cree Nation’s members.
Ultimately, my priorities for Enoch Cree Nation include,
- Economic development that benefits Enoch and it’s members
- Creating a new governance structure away from the Indian Act towards sovereignty
- Financial transparency and accountability
- Long-term community planning in land use, health, housing and infrastructure
- Life long learning and education as a primary value among membership
- Traditional Cree culture, language and ceremony revival
- Empowerment of Enoch’s people – moving away from dependency
As we move forward, I am excited and grateful to serve the people of Maskêkosihk, and lead Enoch toward a self-sufficient, unified, and prosperous Nation.
Chief William ‘Billy’ Morin